Evaluation Matrix

Pathway Assessment Matrix

Successor (high performance, high potential). This individual excels in their current role and may advance to the next level of
your leadership pathway immediately. If you do not provide growth opportunities, you run the risk of losing this individual.

Rock Star (average performance, high potential). This individual performs well in their current role but has potential to do more. Provide strategic initiatives or assignments to prepare them for advancement.

M.V.P. (high performance, average potential). This individual is a solid contributor in their current role and should focus
on perfecting those skills. Mastery of competencies in their leadership pathway level will lead to advancement opportunities.

Shareholder (average performance, average potential). This individual performs well and could handle added responsibilities at their current leadership pathway level. Coach this individual in mastering competencies and role responsibilities.

Tried and True (high performance, low potential). This individual is a high performer and valuable team member but has reached their potential. Encourage this individual to perfect their role-specific skills.

Prodigy or Pretender (low performance, high potential). This individual’s performance is low but their potential is high. They may be new or feel unchallenged. Help this individual master the competencies of their leadership pathway level.

Workhorse (average performance, low potential). This individual meets performance expectations but has reached their potential in their current role in your leadership pathway. Assign additional responsibilities on the same leadership level.

In Limbo (low performance, average potential). This individual does not meet performance expectations but may grow with coaching. Provide feedback and assignments that will stretch them.

Problem (low performance, low potential).

This individual’s performance is unsatisfactory. Reevaluate this individual within your leadership pathway to determine if a different role or lower leadership level is a better fit.

Please note that this nine-box assessment isn’t a foolproof method for identifying successors. A person’s readiness is also critical to determining whether or not internal leaders are ready to move into a given position. For internal succession to be a viable option, an individual must be ready, willing, and able.

  • Ready: Is the individual ready to assume at least 80 percent of the responsibilities of this role? Are you confident that he or she will be able to take on the remaining 20 percent of the role within the next 12 months?
  • Willing: Is the individual willing to fulfill the role at this particular time? Is the person excited about the 
opportunity? Does it align with his or her passions?
  • Able: Is the individual able to transition to this role with little to no disruption? Has he or she developed a successor to assume the role they may soon vacate? Will a continuity of leadership remain in your leadership pathway?

* Developed and used with help and permission from Lifeway Leadership.